PocketBible for Android version 1.2.1 has been released to the Google Play Store. If you downloaded the app from Google Play, you should be automatically updated. If you are using a Kindle Fire (or other non-Google Play device), you can download the latest version by browsing to http://lpb.cc/android while on your device.
The major new enhancement to this version is to the search capabilities. We have completely overhauled the search feature to make it more thorough, more flexible, and more usable (no Boolean operators needed!).
Easier Searching, Better Results
Type any word or phrase in the search field. The results you get back will be broken out and ordered by relevance. There are 5 key results you’ll see:
- Exact – whatever you searched for was found literally in the text, in that exact order.
- All – We found places in the text where all the words you searched for were present, but they were not in any particular order.
- Any – These sections contain any key words you searched for. We ignore some words based on how frequently they are used (a, an, the, etc.).
- Roots – We found these sections based on slight variations of the word you searched for. This accounts for things like verb tenses, pluralization, and the like.
- Sounds – These sections contain words that “sound” like what you searched for.
In addition, a new display setting has been added to allow you to mark or not mark search results in the text (Menu | Settings | Display). Search hits can be marked by color, bold, etc. and this is a temporary marking while the search is active.
Focus Your Searches for Faster Results
When you are creating a new search, you’ll see that you can limit searches by custom ranges – this would include pre-defined sections of the Bible or a specific book of the Bible. You can also choose to search only verses you have highlighted or bookmarked previously. Plus you can now search your own personal notes.
Search by Strong’s Number
We have had many requests in the past for the ability to search your Strong’s Numbered Bibles (i.e. KJVEC, NASEC, HCSBEC). This feature is also included. If you have open and active your Strong’s numbered Bible, you can search in the following ways:
- Simply enter the Strong’s number (g26, for example) to see all occurrences of that Strong’s number.
- Enter a colon and the Strong’s number after a word (love:g26) to see all verses where the word love is translated from the Strong’s word g26.
- Enter a colon and hyphen plus the Strong’s number (love:-g26) to find all the occurrences of a word that are not translated from that particular Strong’s word.
Complete details on how you can use this new search feature are included in the Help option of the navigation menu in PocketBible.
You can see the new search capabilities in action here: