NEW! Export, Share and Publish your PocketBible Notes, Bookmarks and Highlights

Posted on: October 16th, 2012 by Michelle Stramel 26 Comments

Are you a prolific note-taker, highlighter or bookmarker in PocketBible? We have wonderful news for you! We have a new option on our website that lets you instantly pull your personal data (notes, highlights and bookmarks) out of PocketBible for the purpose of sharing, re-purposing or turning into your own PocketBible book (with BookBuilder). Whichever you want to do!

Possibilities abound

Over the years, PocketBible users have asked for the ability to export their valuable personal data out of the program. Yes, you can now do this but we’ve taken it a step further. You choose whether you want to export your notes, highlights or bookmarks. With any of those three options, we provide you with an html file that you can:

• Use as-is
  • Bring into a text editor and reformat and publish in a format for sharing (i.e. PDF, .doc, .txt, etc.)
  • Publish as a PocketBible book using Laridian BookBuilder program (sold separately)

What kind of book could you publish for PocketBible?

• A dictionary of your Bible bookmarks, where each dictionary entry is a bookmark category.
  • A commentary based on your verse notes.
  • A dictionary of your Bible highlights, where each dictionary entry is a highlight color.

To encourage your self-publishing efforts, we’ve lowered the prices of both versions of BookBuilder:

There’s never been a better time to consider publishing a PocketBible book!

Getting Started

The first step is to synchronize your PocketBible data with the Laridian Server. A synchronization option is available in every version of PocketBible (except Android OS – still to come!) The second step is to login to your account on the Laridian website and choose the new My Data link. You’ll find complete information on what you can do with your data and how to do it.

Let us know what you think

We hope you like this new flexibility in using your personal PocketBible data. Is this something you will use? Let us know how you will share your writings in the comments below.

1. Ed Schermerhorn says:

WOW! I hadn’t thought of writing a book before, but have thought it would be nice to export some of my longer notes to create essays or something along those lines.

2. Polli Turner says:

Is there any way to do this with the Palm version? I would love to keep my old notes to be able to use eventually on the Android version I’m starting to work with!

3. Craig Horlacher says:

Nice! Great idea! Now I can get my past notes onto the Android version of Pocket Bible!

4. Mark VanOuse says:

Wonderful news, indeed! I asked for this feature and am so glad Laridian has taken the time and effort to implement it!

Thank you!

5. Mark VanOuse says:

From a owner of data (me) standpoint, it would be very helpful to have an XML output available. Are there plans in the works to do that? That would serve your customers well.

Thank you!
    Mark

6. […] created information like notes, bookmarks and highlights. They announced the new feature on their company blog this […]

7. Paul K says:

Thank you so much for this. It is great. This encourages me to use PB even more than I do already by futureproofing all my notes and bookmarks.

8. Alan Meyer says:

Thanks for this new feature! Having recently switched to Android from Windows 6.5, I really miss the functionality of Pocketbible on the old platform. Now using ipocketbible.com and this new feature, I feel like I’m beginning to feel ‘at home’ again using pocketbible. I really can’t wait for the Android version to move nearer to its completed form. Thanks for the helpful way you look after your customers and offer free services that provide degree of consistency in a rapidly changing environment.

9. Stuart Cunliffe says:

Hi. Great news. It will be so useful to get my bookmarks out and into print for much easier access and to use as a reminder of all that the Holy Spirit has awakened me to over the years. Thank you. I look forward to learning how to do it. Stuart

10. Michael Sisson says:

Thank you! This product enhancement will be helpful in a variety of ways. Most of all, I will literally sleep more peacefully tonight knowing my thousands of bookmarks, notes, and highlights exist in a non-proprietary format someplace in addition to a server in Iowa.

11. Andrew Robertson says:

Wish I could transfer my notes from my PocketPC to my Android Phone – unfortunately my PocketPC is on it’s last legs & will no longer connect to the internet!

12. Jeffrey W. Crowder says:

The Lardian Programs just keep getting better! I have for quite some time wanted the bookbuilder program, now with the new price structure and the CURRENT promo code, I purchased the “Pro” version for just $10.00 more than the orginial price of the standard version! :)

13. William Wells says:

Polli,
    I just upgraded to Windows 7 and still use the Palm. There is updated software for Palm Desktop, 64-bit data sync, and you can get them fixed. I still like being able to use different colors to highlight different words in the same verse (a Palm exclusive, I believe).

14. Paul says:

Another great feature, thanks. Any thought to adding a topic note feature to the program (notes that do not need to be tied to any particular verse or resource)?
    This would be quite a benefit, especially with the new website access.

15. Matt says:

When will android ver include personal notes that I’ve had from other OS versions?

16. John says:

The program is becoming very usable.
    1. Please considering adding a goto history. Great when in church because the bible verse goto page is very slow to load.
    2. When selecting references in a bible having the references show up in the bottom view while leaving the top view alone would be wonderful instead of having to back out each time to continue.
    3. Both right and left arrows together on tablets would be nice if not a luxury. While the present system works it’s clunky to go from the top to the bottom of the tablet if you are moving around your previous selected verses. A goto history would probably do the same thing.

Thanks for giving us the alpha to use while waiting.

17. Mike says:

If we use bookbuilder, is there a way to have the actual content come over with the highlights?

meaning, while this is helpful:

Pink

Romans 6:3

Lime Green

Galatians 2:20

Yellow

Romans 6:2

It would be more helpful to see Romans 6:2(the actual verse) highlighted in yellow…

The end goal I am looking for is the next best thing to an actual printed Bible that has been marked up…

Last week in church, my pastor was telling a story about a Bible left behind by the Dad, and what a treasure it was for the kids to be able to see what he highlighted, underlined, the notes that he wrote, etc…

Got me thinking, in this digital age, that is moving towards paperless – what is the digital equivalent of the Bible with highlights and underlines…?

What can we leave behind…?

It sees like this new export feature is very helpful in getting me closer to my goal, but I really want the actual context to come over with my own highlights, notes, etc…

Please advise…

• You can view the Bible with your highlights inside PocketBible. The point of the feature described here is to use your highlight data to create lists of your highlighted verses.

18. Teri Foster says:

How do you sync your notes from the website to your kindle fire?

19. David Denman says:

This is great, but a bit down the road for me. We have two iphones and an ipad; I just need to know if it is possible to sync the Notes between only ONE of the iphones and the ipad (leaving the 2nd iphone with its own set of notes) using just (a) itunes on my pc and the two devices, or (b) the Laridian server. Where could I get steps for either option?

• Craig Rairdin says:

I’m going to also respond by email because I don’t know if you’ll get this if I just post a comment. Tech Support is a better channel for this kind of question.

First, iTunes is not involved in synchronization. That all happens through the Laridian server.

Second, your notes (and highlights, bookmarks, etc) are associated with your Laridian customer ID, not your device. When you register PocketBible, you log into a particular Laridian customer account. All devices logged into that account share the same set of notes.

Finally, there’s no “we” related to your Laridian account. Your books are licensed to you personally, and your user data (notes, highlights, bookmarks, etc.) belong to you personally. So if you mean that “you” have two iPhones, you’ll need to set up two different Laridian user accounts using two different email addresses. If you mean that “you and your spouse” each have one iPhone, then each of you needs a Laridian customer account with your own set of books and your own notes, highlights and bookmarks. This may seem obvious but I just wanted to bring it up in case you’re thinking that multiple users should be able to share books and data under one Laridian account.