Palm Pre Update

Posted on: May 7th, 2009 by Craig Rairdin 13 Comments

Several months have passed since the original Palm Pre announcement, and our original article on the Palm Pre. Please keep in mind that we don’t have any special “inside information” about the Pre, and that we have not announced any plans regarding software that we may or may not offer for the Pre.

As you probably know, the Palm Pre uses a new operating system called Web OS. Palm has announced that existing Palm OS programs, such as MyBible, are not compatible with Web OS. There have been differing reports on whether a Palm OS emulator, allowing programs such as MyBible to work on the Pre, would be included.

However, MotionApps is developing a product called Classic that will allow some “classic” Palm OS applications to work on the new Palm Pre.

MotionApps has announced that they are performing compatibility testing with some popular products. You can let them know of your own favorite products and perhaps influence which products will be tested for compatibility. To express your interest in using MyBible on a Pre via Classic to MotionApps, click here and fill out the resulting form. (Any information you provide is sent to MotionApps, not Laridian.)

1. tn_friend says:

I hope that you do work on a WebOS version for the PRE…i know i am planning on getting one when they come out.

2. Mike says:

Ummmm… no thanks. All done with Palm devices. But I would love to find a solid device that can run a native version of MyBible. I really miss MyBible, but am tired of spending hundreds on devices I can’t keep running. No iPhone for me either. Can’t have a camera at work… grounds for dismissal. Engineering organizations are often funny that way about cameras. iPod touch would be cool, but no native app… yet.

3. tim says:

I totaly love MyBible! I’ve been using it for over 3 years and have purchased numerous additions since. I started using it on the Treo 600 and have had every Palm phone and now using a Centro. I considered the Palm Pre but wasnt going to switch over unless I could have a bible available… To my delight, MotionApps developed Classic. I’m really, really, really hoping it works flawlessly with MyBible. I hope you (Laridian) are hoping the same!

4. Brett Quam says:

There will always be a special place in my heart for MyBible. It was the first Laridian product that I ever bought and it really changed how I was able to experience the Bible. I look forward to testing it out in Classic on the Pre in a few weeks.

I really like how MotionApps is being proactive and asking for user and developer input to make sure they test everything they are able to before the product launch. I have a feeling that means Classic will be a bit more stable than StyleTap is on Windows Mobile and S60.

5. Scott Fannon says:

I am planing to switch to the Palm Pre on June 6th when it is released. I am really hopefuly that a WebOS version will be developed. I have up to this point been using Windows Mobile the reason for my switch is frankly Windows Mobile is not a stable enough platform. So I do look foward to seeing what you will develop for WebOS.

6. Jaggrey says:

I too would like to see a native app developed for the Pre, as this is one of the major things that has me hesitant to switching to the Pre. I purchased MyBible back when I had a Palm OS Treo, then purchased the WinMo version when I switched and I love it. However, buying MyBible 5 (to be able to sync bookmarks and highlights), PocketBible for Windows, and Classic is quite a bit of dough, and I would much rather purchase a native webOS app one time (and prolly PocketBible for Windows in order to sync).

And thanks Jeff for pointing out to me your more recent comments on the Pre. :)

7. Richard says:

I sure hope that Laridian gets onboard and develops for the WebOS…I have had the Pocket Bible for awhile I really enjoy and would hate to find another vendor…don’t want to emulate…why even use new technology if your going to emulate OLD technology…

8. Ron says:

On the MotionApps site there is a list of icons representing the apps that will work on Classic. The MyBible icon is there. I’ve requested it, and I’m sure others have as well. precentral.net has a forum topic for which classic apps you can’t live without. MyBible is listed many times on that forum.

9. Ron says:

To answer Richard’s question, I plan to emulate to fill the gap until native software is available. I like the new technology, but there are some apps I don’t want to do without while I wait for new versions.

10. Sara Lea says:

I put the Classic on. Not happy with it. You still only have a small screen. I really want a bible program Like the Illumina Life Application Study bible I paid $59 for be available for the WEB OS not a bandaid program. It was hard to use the bible application on the Pre. It needs a better program of it’s own. Anyone developing one…PLEASE!!!!!

11. David Brown says:

I used the NIV Study Bible on my Treo for years. I now have a Palm Pre and am missing my old Bible app. I tried running the program on Classic, but find it to be awkward and clunky. Pleeeeeeease develope your program for the Web OS!!!!! I would be one of the first people to purchase.

12. JJ says:

Someone is missing a good deal… with the sales of the Palm Pre (and small sales of the Pixi) as well as two new WebOS devices planned this year (one for ATT and one for Verizon), this is the Palm system of the future. Goodbye PalmOS, hello WebOS. Now, no one that I know of is doing a serious Bible Program for the WebOS. That is incredibly short sighted, as someone is going to CLEAN UP when they have a great Bible App. It is like all these Bible App companies have never heard of “first to market.” And they struggle to get market share among iPhone, WinMo, Blackberry, and Android, while leaving alone the WebOS.

With over a million sales in Palm Pre’s first quarter alone, that is a large potential market with NO PLAYERS in the market. But, then again, I understand that it is not MY investment and programming money at stake. :) But I still think it is a wide open market for someone.

13. JJ: See this post for a more up-to-date description of our plans: http://blog.laridian.com/?p=175

In addition to WebOS devices for AT&T and Verizon, you can expect to see a version of the iPhone that will run on non-AT&T networks. That will have an impact on market share for sure.

Current smartphone market share numbers:

#1 Blackberry 15 million users.
    #2 iPhone 9 million.
    #3 Windows Mobile 7 million.
    #4 WebOS 2 million.
    #5 Symbian 1 million.
    #6 Android around 1 million.