Kindle Fire Installation Instructions

Posted on: January 4th, 2013 by Craig Rairdin 19 Comments

I was contacted by a customer yesterday who was having trouble installing PocketBible for Android on her Kindle Fire HD. When she first contacted me I don’t think she realized her Kindle was even an Android device, and she certainly wasn’t familiar with the concept of installing third-party apps except through the app store built into the Kindle. The instructions below got her up and running right away. You may not have a Kindle Fire HD, but the instructions should work in general for any Android device.

You need to make sure you’ve enabled “third party apps” on your Kindle. Go to Settings and look for “Device” (it may be in the “More…” menu). Look for “Allow Installation of Applications” and turn it on. On the HDX, this option is under Applications in Settings. You’ll get a warning message but that’s OK – they’re just trying to scare you into only buying software from Amazon. :-)

Once you’ve done that, just go to the Web browser on the Kindle and type in this:

PocketBible should automatically download. On some devices, you’ll be prompted to install the app but on the Kindle devices, you’ll have a few more steps

• Original Kindle Fire and HD: You may have to tap the notification number next to your name in the upper left corner of the screen. You will then see a list of notifications. One of them should say something like com.laridian.pocketbible or pocketbible.apk and “download complete”. Select that one. You’ll be asked if you want to install PocketBible and it will ask if you want to allow PocketBible to use network communications and some other things. Choose the “install” button and when it’s done choose “open”.
  • Kindle Fire HDX: After you download from the Silk Browser, tap on the menu icon in the top left corner. Choose the Downloads option and you should see PocketBible.apk listed there. Tap on it and choose the install option to finish the process. If you prefer, you can watch of video of this.

Once PocketBible is installed you can choose it from the carousel like any other program. The PocketBible icon may look “blurry” but that’s OK — Amazon uses low-resolution icons for third-party apps because they’re upset that you didn’t give them any money to run the software on their device, so they want to make you think there’s something less than professional about our app. Don’t worry about that. :-)

Tags: , , ,

1. Pete Welsby says:

Many thanks for your very prompt help. This worked very easily

Best wishes

Pete

2. John Schnupp says:

I had My Bible on my Palm T5. I got a Kindle Fire HD for Christmas. There was nothing on the Amazon site. I was so happy to see you had an alpha version on your site.

1. You should also include the non-Google link in all updates. The Google apps and store do not play well with Amazon. I had to really dig around on the web site to find the direct link to install version 1.

2. A lot of people probably don’t realize that the Kindle is really an Android device. You should provide some additional information about installing on Kindle. As above, I had to really dig around on the site and in the blog archive to learn how to install this on my new Kindle.

I very much enjoyed My Bible on the Palm and am so happy that I can use Pocket Bible on my Kindle too. Thanks for all the effort you have done to make a great Bible reader.

John Schnupp

3. j juell says:

I get a 404 error on my kindle fire HD device for lpd.cc/android

4. I got my wife a Kindle Fire HDX, and I’m trying to install via your instructions. The Amazon store shows it as available but also shows it as incompatible with the HDX and won’t let me download it.

When I followed your instructions to download it directly, it did download but it never gave me a prompt to install it.

I may have missed a step and I’ll try again tonight, but do you have any insight here? Is Pocket Bible Android still compatible with the HDX?

This is a great product that I’ve been using on various platforms for over 13 years. Thanks for all the work you’ve done to keep this up to date!

• Doug, we have seen a few installation issues on the HDX but PocketBible does work on these devices once you get past that. Here are a few things you can check:

– Make sure you can install apps from the web: Settings>> Applications>> Apps from Unknown sources, set to “on”
      -If you don’t see an app in your carousel, it doesn’t mean it’s not installed. From the home screen select the “Apps” tab and you should see all installed apps.
      – If you are in the “Apps” screen above, look in the top right corner of the screen and make sure “On Device” is selected, as apposed to “Cloud”.
      “Cloud” is all the apps tied to your Amazon account, so PB will never be in that section since it wasn’t installed through the Kindle Store.

If that doesn’t help, let us know at support@laridian.com.

Michelle

5. I wanted to follow up with my earlier question today.

It appears that the Kindle Fire HDX is more locked down than the HD version. After I downloaded the file, there was no notification about installation anywhere. I went online and found an article about file explorers and I found a free one on The Amazon App Store called ES File Explorer.

Once installed, it was easy to find the Laridian app in the Download folder and install it.

So, unless you can find an easier way to do this, you might want to post this app idea on your website regarding the Kindle Fire HDX.

Again, thanks for a great product!

6. Oh, and I had already tried the things you suggested, but that didn’t help. Without the file explorer, I could find no way to access your download file to install it.

7. Denise says:

The app icon doesn’t show up in my list of apps on my Kindle Fire, but I was able to open in after downloading it again and reinstalling it. If you don;t immediately open it after installation, the app icon will not show up in the cloud or on your device.
    After opening it and downloading your content, the app icon will show up on the app page.
    I can’t wait to use this on my Kindle Fire. Thank you, this has been a long time coming. I first purchased this for my Palm Pilot…seems like the dinosaur days.

8. Nigel White says:

Great stuff!!Many thanks – now loaded on Kindle Fire.

9. Carla says:

Thank you so much for this post and the email sent after Christmas reminding new tablet owners about Pocket Bible. I was sad when I checked the Amazon app store and couldn’t find the app. Your email was a blessing. Thanks again.

• Same here! I searched and nothing. Followed the instructions given here and it’s all up and running, low rez. image and all! So excited to be able to use my ESV study Bible info. and JFB Commentary for school.

Then I clicked “Rate PocketBible app” and it went to the Amazon Store, but wouldn’t let me rate it because it declared PocketBible was “incompatible with your device. You cannot purchase this app from this device,” which explains why searching was futile.

Now loaded on my Kindle Fire!

10. Denny says:

Be sure to turn off parental controls in the HDX, for initial download, if they are on.

11. Joyce says:

Maybe I am really missing here but are notes not synced on the mobile versions (other than ipad). I have notes written on my ipad, but when I sync to my Samsung Galaxy S5 or Kindle, I don’t see the notes. I see highlights and bookmarks but no notes.

• Craig Rairdin says:

Notes aren’t implemented yet on Android. That’s what we’re working on right now. We’ll have an update pretty soon.

12. Jim Strasma says:

Amazon App Store doesn’t show PocketBible as compatible with my new Amazon Fire 6. Allowing 3rd party apps (under Settings | Applications, and then downloading manually via your direct download Silk link worked, but there was still now way to get to the downloaded file to install it until I also installed ES File Explorer from the Amazon App Store. That finally worked.

• Michelle Stramel says:

Jim, I’m glad you were able to figure it out. The 3rd party installation detailed here is still the best way to install the PocketBible for Android to your Kindle Fire devices. We have applied to have PocketBible listed as a Kindle app but Amazon has yet to approve that or tell us why they won’t approve it.

Michelle