Status Update – PocketBible for iPhone

Posted on: August 31st, 2009 by Craig Rairdin 34 Comments

We’re at one week since submitting the app to the App Store and I want to answer a few questions that have come up in email and in the comments.

• We will not get any feedback from Apple until/unless the app is approved. The current status is “In Review” and that’s all we’ll know until they actually either approve or decline it. If they decline it, they’ll tell us why and tell us what to do to fix it. We don’t have any reason to believe they won’t approve it, or if they find problems, that they won’t approve it eventually.
  • We appreciate your offers to give us donations to cover the cost of development. We’ve thought about formalizing that process but at the same time you can “donate” by simply not using our discount codes when you place an order for add-on books. We’re embarrassed to even suggest such a thing and are humbled by your generosity.
  • We will be having some kind of site-wide sale once the new product is approved on the App Store. We’ll send an email out to current customers and probably post something here in the blog. If you’re interested in building your library, that will be a good time to do it.
  • You will have access to all your current Bibles and reference books from inside PocketBible for iPhone. I’m not sure how to make this more clear. Take a look at the first video here. All I’m doing is logging into my existing account using my customer ID and password (you can also use your email address instead of customer ID if you don’t know it). Once I’m logged in, I see a list of everything I’ve previously purchased for any platform. I can download any of those titles to the iPhone.
  • Memorize!, DailyReader for Palm OS, and the old PrayerPartner for Palm OS are programs, not reference books, and won’t be included in the titles you can download for iPhone. We have not announced our plans for a version of Memorize! or PrayerPartner for the iPhone. The features of DailyReader are built into PocketBible and will be enhanced in future releases of PocketBible for iPhone.
  • MyBible users will probably have the biggest transition to make. As you might know, MyBible was written by an outside developer who was a Palm employee at the time. We marketed it on his behalf. At the same time, we developed PocketBible for Windows Mobile in-house. It was the original product that Jeff Wheeler and I wrote starting back in 1998 and which motivated us to leave Parsons Technology in late 1998/early 1999 together with Jim VanDuzer to start Laridian. PocketBible for iPhone is based on the Windows Mobile code base and overall philosophy of operation. The differences are subtle but you may notice them. For example, MyBible lets you highlight a single letter in a word. PocketBible highlights entire verses.
  • Remember, this is version 1.0.0. Other versions are coming. If you don’t see a favorite feature, tell us about it, then wait. We’ll be constantly working on updates for the next few months. Those of you who got involved in iPocketBible.com in the very early stages remember that we issued updates every couple of weeks for a few months as we rounded out the feature list. We’ll be doing the same thing with PocketBible for iPhone.
  • If you can find it in your hearts, give us a nice review. Early reviews are important. If you can do us the favor of complaining to us directly by email instead of through your reviews on the App Store, that would be great. We’re going to do everything we can to be responsive and make sure PocketBible for iPhone is everything you want it to be. If people express their complaints through App Store reviews instead of directly to us, the product could fail before we have the opportunity to finish it.
  • We haven’t forgotten Windows Mobile. There will be a new release of WM next year and we currently plan to revisit PocketBible for Windows Mobile sometime before then and release an update. Nothing firm yet.

That’s it for now. I just checked and there’s no change in the status of the app as of this morning. I’m sure one of you will probably spot it before I do. :-)

1. Andrew says:

“We haven’t forgotten Windows Mobile. There will be a new release of WM next year and we currently plan to revisit PocketBible for Windows Mobile sometime before then and release an update. Nothing firm yet.”

That’s good news – look forward to seeing PocketBible in the WM Marketplace, especially if there’s a corresponding update. :)

2. The WM Marketplace is currently very broken. We’re working with Microsoft to just get signed up. We’d like to be there, too.

3. Peter says:

I’m also glad to hear that WM isn’t going to be left behind. Of course, with a lot of the changes MS is putting into WM 6.5 and more still in WM 7, I can see that an update may be needed. I don’t know what to think of the WM Marketplace. I like the concept, but am concerned by the restrictions and even more concerned if they try to copy Apple’s store model. Still, the concept is _long_ overdue for WM and I think this would have helped them quite a bit if it had already been in place.

4. Lionel B Dyck says:

Craig – great news and you can count on a great review and any issues that we find (and you suggest we probably will) will be sent directly to your support line.

btw. I posted on the ESV facebook page about your upcoming release :-)

5. Michael says:

I’ve been following this for quit some time now and I’m thankful for your diligent efforts, and especially how you’ve kept us up to date and answered questions throughout. Thank you very much!

I am wondering if PocketBible for iPhone will be able to sync with PocketBible for Windows?

Also will I need to cancel my iPocketBible subscription once I have the app?

Thank Craig! Anxiously waiting on Apple…

6. I knew I’d forget some questions:

• PocketBible for iPhone 1.0.0 will not sync with PocketBible for Windows but a later release will. There are a couple ways we could do this. We haven’t announced our exact plans for this feature yet.
    • Our full plan for iPocketBible.com has not yet been announced. But as of a few days ago we are no longer charging monthly subscribers for their renewals. They just have free access.
  7. Justin says:

This is great, Craig. I’ve been waiting over a year for this to come out, so I’m really excited. Thanks!

8. Michael says:

That is all GREAT news Craig. Thank You!

9. Steve Gore says:

Hi Craig

Great news. My two votes for features now that you’ve mentioned it.

* Scrolling in PB. Really loved it in Windows Mobile. Especially being able to change the speed of the scrolling.
    * Memorize. I really used this a lot on WM. A port would be great but I understand you may have other priorities.

Thanks

Steve

10. Scott says:

All i can say is YYYYAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

11. Merrill says:

Hi Craig… I ordered the Dakes Notes from the original publisher of the add on several years ago… before it was available through you… is there anyway to get that added to my account?

12. Merrill, contact tech support.

13. Paul Baggaley says:

Great news. I’ll continue checking this blog daily and the App store.

One question : will PocketBible for iPhone support the split screen mode so you can have a Bible and a commentary synchronised on the screen at the same time, or two bibles, as in previous versions?
    This is a really useful feature that I’ve seriously missed while having to use a non-Laridian Bible program on my iPhone.

14. John says:

Craig, I’m curious about the business model and how it works. If the program is free and the books are purchased through the Laridian website, where does Apple get its motivation? Or is there an agreement that you will give Apple 30% of all future sales? Just wondering. Can’t imagine Apple would allow a means that circumvents them and their slice of the pie.

15. Matt says:

So looking forward to the release

16. Curt says:

Im not sure where to post this as its not really on topic. But I am a big fan of Laridian. I started on palm, moved to Pocket PC, and now Im about to move to Android.

The one thing I dont like about android is no Laridian Bible . I know you are just finishing up IPhone, but are there plans to support Android platform?

17. Curt, we haven’t announced our plans concerning Android.

18. Paul Meiklejohn says:

Come on Apple, Craig and the team are waiting to take our orders.

19. Ed says:

I would also like to inquire as to when Laridian will support Android. I have moved from Palm to Windows Mobile. I have recently moved to Android, and I already miss my PocketBible software.

20. David says:

I also am interested in an Android version. I had the palm to windows mobile to android migration (actually haven’t migrated yet to android, I’m waiting for the new Verizon Motorola android phone). As a software developer, I would even be interested in helping with the port, if necessary.

21. PocketBible is written in C++ (plus some Objective-C++ on the iPhone). Android is not a “port” it’s a “start over”.

22. Adam says:

i am also hoping for some clarity concerning android -a start over maybe, but still some posted direction from laridian concerning any plans -or even decision not to pursue plans would be nice. thanks!

23. Our policy is not to comment on products that may or may not be under development. That policy applies to any work we may or may not be doing and any plans we may or may not have for Android. I have commented on the platform itself and the challenges we would/are face/facing if/when/while we are developing for it, but won’t make any announcement of specific plans until/unless we actually ship a product for Android. It couldn’t be clearer. :-)

24. Nathan says:

I am also putting my vote in for android. I have been using this software for many years and would like to continue. Android is about to explode with an estimated 50+ different models available next year so I hope it is in your immediate plans. And actually Android has supported C++ since June: http://developer.android.com/sdk/ndk/1.5_r1/index.html.

25. Raymie says:

I like using PocketBible, and love the fact that all the Bibles, commentaries, etc. that I purchased for the Palm platform (MyBible) are available for PocketBible.
    However, I do miss Memorize and hope you will be able to offer it soon for iPhone/iPod touch, even if it’s not a free app–as long as it can pull verses from PocketBible, like Memorize did from MyBible.

26. Sharon says:

Thank you for your attention to iPhone apps!! I’m so grateful! I do miss Memorize! May I just put in my vote for this app for iPhone? I’ve noticed my verse recall has significantly decreased since I lost this program and my ability to continuously review my verses when I moved to iPhone. Any idea when, if ever, we will have this application?

27. Ken Philpott says:

Craig, Will the iPhone application for PB, have the ability to ‘flick’ through resources as you can in WM PocketBible. I love this, and use it EVERYDAY.

28. Shane says:

I also would like to put in my vote for Android. The 3 top mobile phone OS’s in sales are Blackberry, Iphone, and Android. Windows is going to fall farther and farther behind and I expect Android to overtake Iphone yet this year. I would love to have my Laridian Bible on the Android platform. Just casting my vote.

29. Carlos and Ben says:

Hello, i recently got my self an HTC Evo 4G. Very awesome phone which is withing the Android operating system. I have seen your apps for PocketBible and i believe it is a blessing and a wonderful tool for someone who wants to share the Word of God with no limitations(carrying all kinds of books and the Bible itself). Not to mention that it is also an amazing tool for a Pastor. I cast my vote also for you guys to create something like this for the Android. I, along with many other future ministers out there, will appreciate it greatly! May God bless you and help you work on something in the very near future!

30. mark mahahn says:

Please get nkjv done for droid2 asap or I may burn in hell… u don’t want that do u ?

31. Mark says:

All indications are that the Android platform is passing iPhone and has long blistered the Windows platform. As a previous Palm, then Windows Mobile customer who has enjoyed PocketBible immensely, I would implore the company to quickly begin working on an Android-based product ASAP. I’m about to take the Android plunge myself.

32. Mark: you should start reading the blog from the newest posts instead of the oldest. :-)

33. Evan says:

Looking forward to Android!