Features Devotional Reading Progress Tracking
PocketBible 1.2.0 has been approved by Apple and is available in the App Store.
The new version wraps up what we call our “user-created data” functionality. That is, the program now supports the creation of notes, highlights, bookmarks, and the tracking of your progress as you read through devotional (daily reading) books. This is a fairly major milestone for PocketBible. Initially we weren’t even going to ship version 1.0 until these features were implemented. Our early alpha testers convinced us to ship as soon as possible and wrap up the rest of the features in a series of point releases, which is what we ended up doing.
There are other minor improvements to the program as well. In particular, we took advantage of the extra space in landscape mode and added two additional buttons to the toolbar: “Forward” (the “Back” button seemed lonely) and “Bookmarks” (gives you a quick path to your list of bookmarks). And check out the new, very colorful, Go TO Verse screen.
New Features in 1.2.0
- PocketBible now tracks your progress reading through devotional (daily reading) books like through-the-Bible reading plans.
- Select a start date for each devotional book
- Mark today’s reading, current reading, or selected reading as “completed”
- Title bar turns green for readings you’ve read; red for those you need to read
- Today button now activates new Devotional menu when selected while a devotional is active. Gives access to devotional features including new reading progress view and settings
- “Catch Up” function lets you quickly adjust your reading plan to put you back on schedule
- Open Book screen uses color coding to indicate which devotional books you need to read today to stay on schedule
- Progress tracking is optional
- Added frequently requested “Forward” and “Bookmarks” buttons to the tool bar when in landscape mode (where there is room for more buttons than in portrait).
- Color-coded the book name buttons in the Go To Verse “Bk/Ch/Vs” selection process. Colors correspond to well-known sections of the Bible (Pentateuch, History, Wisdom, etc.) to make it easier to spot a particular book.
- Added more “short-cut” buttons to the Go To Verse spinner corresponding to the sections of the Bible mentioned above.
- Minor updates to the Context menu for non-Bibles to remove inactive choices.
- Improved handling of saving your notes when the phone rings or you get a text (or simply exit the program) to eliminate potential loss of data.
Next up is providing you a way to sync your user-created data to our server and from there to your PC and other mobile devices. As usual there will be other improvements included in each update.
If you have suggestions, send them to me at email@example.com rather than posting them here in comments.