PocketBible 2.0.3 Now Available on the App Store

Posted on: November 22nd, 2011 by Craig Rairdin 12 Comments

We just heard from Apple saying that 2.0.3 has been approved. You should already be seeing the update in iTunes on your device. We recommend everyone grab this update, as it fixes a few little problems. It also adds a couple of small enhancements that should make the program more enjoyable to use.

If you’re still running 1.4.7 or an earlier version you need to follow the instructions here to get this new version. Version 2.0.3 is not an automatic update to 1.4.7 or any 1.x.x version of PocketBible.

Enhancements

Double-tap on any image to blow it up in a window where it can be zoomed and scrolled. This is handy for maps and some of the detailed charts that appear in some study Bibles and reference books. It works best to go into Settings and tell it to fit images to the screen, then just double-tap them when you want to view them in detail.

If an image has links in it, those links are “hot” in the zoom view. Most images do not have links, but the maps in our Laridian Maps product do.

Books and voices are now marked as “non-purgeable” as they are downloaded. We got some reports that iOS would delete your books if it needed space for another app. This can be disturbing when you discover that books you spent a long time downloading are suddenly gone. By marking these as non-purgeable, Apple promises us they won’t delete them.

Note that while we retroactively mark your existing books as non-purgeable, and that we mark books and voices as non-purgeable as they are downloaded, we do not mark existing voices as non-purgeable due to the complexity of the file structure for voices. If you operate on the edge of available memory and want to make sure your voice files get marked as non-purgeable, you should delete them with Add/Remove Books, then download them again.

If there’s only one book open in a tab, we use that book’s abbreviation as the title for the tab rather than using the book’s category (“Bibles”, “Commentaries”, etc.) as the tab title.

Fixes

On iOS versions prior to 3.2, there were controls to allow you to turn on the tabbed interface even if you didn’t own the Advanced Feature Set. Unfortunately this didn’t really give you the full features of the tabbed interface because the rest of the program would get confused by the fact that you had tabs turned on but did not own the Advanced Feature Set. This version fixes that by hiding those controls.

Printing, emailing, or texting the selected text could crash or do nothing. This has been fixed.

We believe we’ve fixed a problem in which the text window was offset right and up so you could see the gray background behind the text window. This only happened to some users and only under certain circumstances. We could only duplicate it on one of our iPhones. It wasn’t related to which version of iOS you were running or which type of device you had (though I think we only saw it on iPhones and iPod touch devices, not iPads). What it was related to was the version of the development tools we used.

Turns out Apple swapped out a portion of the compiler that converts our Objective-C programming code into the machine code that runs on the phone. The new compiler apparently generates flawed code. (Compare to what happens when an inexperienced translator flubs up the translation of a speech at the United Nations. The original speech is fine but the translation doesn’t say what the original speaker said. That’s what happened to our code. Our code was correct by Apple’s translation of it made the device do something different.) We fixed it by turning off all the special optimizations that the compiler can do for us. Hopefully another programmer will be able to demonstrate this bug in some simple way so Apple can fix it. We were never able to do it reliably, so we couldn’t report it.

As I said, everyone should install this update. You don’t need to re-download your books or voices, nor do you need to sync your personal data after you update. This is just a normal program update that won’t affect anything you’ve downloaded nor any of your notes, highlights, or bookmarks.

1. Jason Chamberlain says:

As an owner of the ESV Study Bible with all the great pictures, I am thrilled by this update. Thank you!

2. Steve says:

I’m not sure where to place this comment. Please point out if there is a more appropriate place to communicate this thought.
    I realized today that highlighting is really unusable for the style of highlighting I would prefer. First of all I would much rather be able to only highlight a portion of a verse and not the entire verse. Secondly, (and this is the part that made me realize it was unusable for me right now) is that when I highlight a verse in one version, all the version’s get that verse highlighted.
    If there is any way just to highlight the selected text in only one version, that would be extremely helpful to me.
    Thanks

3. Baggas says:

Not sure if it’s only me, but I am still having problems with all my Bibles and other Laridian books disappearing off my iPad, whenever it gets close to capacity. So I’m not convinced this has fixed the purging bug. Getting tired of having to re-download my entire collection every week or two.

• Baggas (Paul),

Go to “About PocketBible” in the menu and tell us what version of the program you’re running. Also what version of iOS you’re running. Put all this in an email to tech support (support@laridian.com).

4. RichieRich says:

Hi, I just wanted to post again to see if anyone else was (still) having font legibility issues. I initially posted on the first 2.0 release blog entry, stating that the fonts (all of them) appear blurry to me when compared with the previous 1.x version of MyBible. I’m using a 3rd generation iPod Touch with iOS 5.0.1.

I’m running MyBible 2.0.3. Briefly, all the text in any book (bible, devotional, etc.) looks fuzzy, like there’s a haze over it. I almost liken it to when Windows font smoothing did a bad job. Now, when I look at the screen overlay, everything in that looks sharp (i.e., normal). The menu bar also is normal. The settings menu is normal. It only affects the reading text, whether I change the font or not. (I’ve tried all of them). Version 1.4.7 has none of these issues for me.

I’ve sent a couple screenshots to the support team, but the one person that replied said he couldn’t see the difference, but I still must disagree as it is completely horrible to my eyes.

Here are the two screenshots:

I would love to hear if anyone else is having this problem. Otherwise, I’ll still keep using 1.4.7!

Rich

• Richie,

This is not a universal experience. One thing I thought of is the brightness control. In the PocketBible settings menu there is a display settings option that lets you dim the text. Make sure that control is slid all the way to the brightest setting.

5. Rick says:

I didn’t see the difference, at first, either. Those files each loaded into its own browser tab on my Galaxy Tab 10.1, and toggling between the two shows photo1 is sharper.

6. RichieRich says:

Rick, thank you for looking at the two files. The file named Photo1.png is MyBible 1.4.7.

Craig, I checked my settings and the brightness control is all the way to the brightest setting already.

Like I said, it is odd that all the other menu items, settings, look as sharp as they did before. It’s only the reading area. It hasn’t happened to any of my other applications (e.g., Instapaper, feed readers, dictionaries, etc.), only to MyBible when it moved from 1.4.7 to 2.x. I would love to hear if any other iPod touch 3rd gen owners are having this issue. Thanks for hearing me out.

Rich

7. Neil W says:

Dear Craig, et al,

I have enjoyed my Laridian software for quite a few years now and have transitioned across 3 platforms. Thanks for all of your great work.

I must say, however, that I sorely miss Palm OS version. I’m on the iPhone now and it is not as intuitive as it was on the Palm.

The one feature that I am surprised you haven’t incorporated is highlighting text for individual words. I really miss being able to do this. I had hoped the latest Advanced Features Set would do the trick. It’s closer with the drag feature, but still selects the entire verse.

What do you think? Is it a possibility?

Neil

• Neil,

“Intuitive” is in the eye of the beholder. I would argue that MyBible for Palm OS is just different; not necessarily simpler or more intuitive by design.

Highlighting words is possible. We used to do it on Windows Mobile but it presented problems when synchronizing highlights between platforms. It isn’t a high priority. I’ll be thinking about it again when I get to that point on Android. But again, it introduces a number of problems.

Thanks for your input.

8. Brent says:

I regularly use PocketBible on my iPhone as well as my iPAD (oh and by the way, I have been using this app since my Palm OS days and through Windows CE, I really really really appreciate the buy it once approach).

Back to the question, other than purchasing the Bible Builder program (I would need the pro version) is there a way to create a note that is not connected to any particular bible to make a reference list and notes? I would really like to be able to edit/create right on my iPad. What I have been doing so far is to connect notes to first passage in the reference list and paste the same note to all of them. I would really like to have one pane (like it’s own book) open and then be able to click the links to particular passages and read brief text and be able to modify on the device. One application is sermon notes, would like to be able to take notes during the sermon, reference some passages, and take more notes for ready reference. Next week would start another note, etc.

Thanks

Brent

• Brent,

There’s not a way to have an “unattached” note. It’s on the suggestion list for a future release.

FYI we’ll be announcing changes to BookBuilder and PocketBible for iOS that will allow you to use the Standard edition of BookBuilder to get books onto your iPad in the near future.