I’m Done Answering QuickVerse Questions

Posted on: September 3rd, 2007 by Craig Rairdin 56 Comments

I get several emails every month from people running QuickVerse 4 and needing help to install it on a new machine, or to install some add-on product. Or they want to know where to find a particular QuickVerse 4 Bible, CD, or other related program.

I’ve made a decision tonight to just be done with that topic. Laridian has its own Bible software for Windows now, so there’s no need for anyone to keep using QuickVerse. If Findex wants to support their product, they can do it. I’m not going to do it anymore.

It’s been thirteen years since I sold all my interest in QuickVerse to Intuit coincident with the sale of Parsons Technology to Broderbund. It’s been eleven years since QuickVerse 4 (the most popular version of QuickVerse) came out. It’s been almost ten years now since I left Parsons Technology. It’s been about that long since tech support was available for QuickVerse 4 from its current owner. That’s a long time. Microsoft is on its third version of Windows since then. I’ve married off three daughters since then. QuickVerse has been owned by at least four different companies since then.

I’ll leave the QuickVerse 4.0g patch at my website. You need that version to install under XP and perhaps later versions of Windows. Once you download it and save it to your hard drive, just run it to update your QV4 installation to the rev “g” version of QV4. Other than that, it’s past time to move on. Both for me and for die-hard QuickVerse customers.

Until a couple weeks ago there wasn’t a good option for people who liked the old QuickVerse programs. Now there is. I’m ready to retire from the QuickVerse support business. I don’t really remember anything about that program anyway. :-)

– Craig

1. Dave Z says:

I remember doing tech support and people would call in running Mac OS 9.2.2 (or 8.6, even!). All the while 10.3 was flourishing. I can understand being comfortable with a user interface. But really, there’s a time to let go and move on to bigger and better things.

2. william bernard says:

could you help me out i got quickverse on my old computer which is xp i try to put it on my new one buy want go my new window is a vista do they have a quickverse software for window vista thank you

3. Bruce Gilliland says:

I still have my QV4 CD, but I have long since moved on. QV7 was OK, but OV 8 and 9 were bad, and it took 5 years to go from 7 to 8. QV11 (2007) is pretty good. However, as I said in an earlier post, my QV and Logos may gather dust now that PB/Windows is out. PB/Windows is much faster and easier to use.

Laridian has the best overall combination. QV’s mobile version has a lot of problems, not to mention few resources. Nelson, a Logos user, has eBible, but it’s not that great. A couple of other PDA-based programs work well but have only old, public-domain books.

4. Bruce,

Sorry for the delay in responding. I was just reading your note and you really nailed our position in the market. You’re right that PocketBible for Windows beats QuickVerse and Logos for speed and simplicity. Our PDA products have more resources that QuickVerse PDA, is overall better than eBible, and the rest have mostly old public domain books. Overall you can’t beat Logos for the size of their library but then how many commentaries does a person really need? Nevertheless, we’ll be announcing some content deals soon that will quickly double the size of our reference book line. Thanks for your kind remarks.

5. Dale Durnell says:

Craig,
    I was one of those old “die hard” fans (both of the movies and QuickVerse 4) ;-). I’ve bought several new machines in the past umpteen years and yes, I moved QV4 from machine to machine. But, I support your decision to quit answering questions.
    I bought a Dell Axim Pocket PC several years ago and have had Laridian for the Pocket PC for at least four years now. And, with the advent of Pocket Bible for the PC, you are right — there is no need for me to be running QV4 anymmore. I kept the old program because sometimes I’m in a hurry, and I want to simply look up and or copy something without the issues related to firing up my other Bible program.
    I’m enjoying Pocket Bible for the PC tremendously and the ease of use is wonderful (it’s like an old friend).
    Blessing,
    Dale

6. Mike Hardin says:

Wow, Dale Durnell, that’s a blast from the past. I used to swear by your macros for qv4 and Word Perfect. Now I use neither. I did get here looking for a solution for using qv6 on my new vista machine though. I’m getting an error that qvedit.ocx, or something like that, wasn’t found. BUT, I certainly don’t expect craig to suppport it. My problem with “moving on” to newer programs has to do with CONTENT! When I switch to a non Quickverse, or at least a not STEP version of Bible Software, what happens to my investment in books that were purchased to run on that platform? I think that is why people hang on to the old so long. It’s not so much about the old application, but the books run into some serious money, too much to just blow off when the application becomes obsolete.

7. David Bruce says:

No wonder you are through answering QV questions. It stinks! Due to a dearth of Bible software for the Mac I purchased QV black box while I wait (im)patiently for Logos to offer their Mac Version (hopefully before the rapture). Anyway, the software doesn’t seem to work on my MacBook.I just hope the store will take it back.
    Please, oh, please, Mr. Wizard, we Mac-ites desperately need you! Don’t make me get a petition…I’ll do it!

8. After Jeff and I got out is when it got bad. QV4 was the last good version, and that’s the version I get questions about. Just got another one today, even with the blog post here and at my personal site.

One of the things I fear about the Mac is having to treat it as a primary platform, like Windows. It means we’d have to port not only PocketBible but all the synchronization technology (yes, I know, you haven’t seen that yet, but you will and it’s non-trivial). And while all the mobile platforms sync with the PC through standard interfaces, they don’t all talk to the Mac.

We’ll see.

9. Dale Durnell says:

Actually Craig, IMHO, 4.0 was *THE* really great 16bit version. However, Ver 5.1 (note the “.1″) was still a pretty good 32 bit release. But there never was much need or value received to move up beyond that — after you left, it all went downhill (even the last of the Parsons versions).

10. Mark Giordano says:

Okay so these are the realities of life and time.

All I want to know is has anybody successfully installed Quickverse 4g on Vista? It doesn’t matter which version it is to me; what I need are hightlights and notes. Two things that make that old version 4 software so valuable. It’s the features not the version that are so good.

Thanks again Craig for all your hard work. Since version 4g, I too have married off three children! After trying Vista, I am now migrating to MAC. So there it goes again.

11. I’ve heard of 4g working on Vista.

PocketBible for Windows works great on Vista. And it has highlights and notes.

12. Jeff Mikres says:

Tried to access your web site and could not finish the deal. Just spinning wheels.
    posh

13. It’s working great here.

14. Mark Giordano says:

Version 4g worked on Vista for me when it was carried over in a Vista upgrade from XP. But it doesn’t seem to be the same with a clean install. After installing Vista in a new laptop, I couldn’t get Quickverse to open, even with the compatibility wizard. If someone can confirm that it does in fact work with Vista, I can take it from there.

On the other hand, I am very interested in doing the same thing Craig’s done from the user standpoint–like…moving on. So I plan to have a close look at PocketBible. If it’s all the same and then some, that’s the better solution.

15. Stephen Schwambach says:

I totally respect Craig’s decision. So…is anyone else able to help me install QV4 on my new machine? My old machine crashed and I can’t prove to my QV4 upgrade software that I ever purchased an earlier version. It says it can’t find my qvwin.ini file.

I am not trying to rip off the old Parsons. I bought a number of QV versions – including one I disliked so much I never used. I just sent a friend to check out PocketBible, so at least I’m showing my appreciation to Craig for this page in that way!

16. Joe Thomas says:

I’ve owned QV2 for DOS, QV4, QV6 (with Greek) and QV8. All these years later I still use QV4 daily, and QV6 only for the Greek. I only use 8 if I need commentaries. Craig, QV4 was definitely the best.

QV4 and 8 installed OK on my new Vista machine, but 6 won’t (the “QVEDIT failed to register” message). I can use Greek on my XP laptop but not my desktop.

Like Stephen, I totally understand why Craig doesn’t want to spend time supporting old software from a company he is not a part of. Is there anybody who knows how to deal with the QVEDIT.OCX error?

I bought Laridian bible for my Palm, but I no longer use a Palm, just a laptop.

17. Joe Thomas says:

I just looked at the new Laridian bible software and it looks great, except… no Greek bible. Any plans for a Greek NT? the last good thing QuickVerse did was have a greek version in V6. If there was a greek Bible I would definitely buy Laridian. Thanks.

18. Bob Bishop says:

The “QVEDIT failed to register” message is solved in Vista, at least for qv6 by right clicking the Quickverse icon on your desktop and selecting Properties then choosing the Compatabiity tab and ticking Run this program as an administrator. After this Quickverse seems to launch OK. I can’t claim any credit for this – I found it on another website and tried it and it worked.

19. Scott Veach says:

There are some interesting comments here about the different versions of QV. And I thought I should add my own.

My first experience with QV was version 6.0, running on Win 98SE, and later on XP. It was great for what I needed it for. Recently, though, I upgraded to a new laptop to bring with me to Afghanistan, with Vista. QV 6.0, I later found out, is completely incompatible. And there is no “fix” for it. So I purchased QV2007 basic(ver.11), and loaded it with the maintenance upgrade available from the QV website. There were also some instructions to change the compatibility on two program files . After completing this “maintenance,” I was able to import all the books I had previously purchased with QV6.0, and have access to a large library now.

I couldn’t bring my large hardbound library with me to Afghanistan, so this electronic library has been good to me.

However, reading the comments here, I think I’ll check out the Pocket Bible program now.

Scott

20. Michael Williams says:

I am STILL using Quickverse 3.0d which was the freebee GIVEN AWAY with the KJV in the early 1990′s! I took my old disk and burnt it to a Cd. I have installed it and it has worked on every OS, including Vista, w/o fail or need to hack. As a Pastor who does A LOT of publishing with large amounts of Scripture quoted, it is so quick to get verse I am looking for in a format I can paste into whatever I am writing in mere seconds. I have had more modern packages over the years and still use them, but when it comes down to getting to a verse quickly and ease of use, QV 3 leaves everyone of them in the dust. I know you have claimed to end support, but would be interested in knowing if anyone knows the legality of copying it for others since it was a FREE version.

21. Even though QV3 was given away free, that does not change its copyright status. Giving something away does not put it into the public domain, nor does it make it “fair use” for another person to give it away.

However, there was probably some kind of license agreement that you may still have either as part of the program documentation or one of the files on your CD. It may allow you to distribute it. I don’t remember. I doubt it, though, as when we gave something away it was usually in exchange for an email address or other contact info, which we would then use to market products to the person.

If you want to get permission to give away QV3, contact Findex. They’re the current owners. http://www.findex.com.

22. Tim Wakeling says:

How ironic! The post states that Craig is no longer supporting QuickVerse, and half the comments on said post are asking for support for QuickVerse from Craig. Do commenters actually read the post on which they are commenting? Sometimes I doubt it. :o)

23. Jim Depp says:

Craig, congratulations on moving on – I know it is hard on the one hand, but very necessary on the other. And thank you for the blog – because you provided it, you also provided Bob Bishop the opportunity to answer my ‘support question’! Bob, thanks for the insight – it worked equally well for QV7.

24. davis,br says:

And a full YEAR after Craig’s post some of use are on occasion still coming across it fresh.

I dunno if I ever actually sent an original Thank You for the 4.0g patch Craig, but here ’tis.

(Yes, I still use QV4 …and a simply copy of the 4.0g patched version from an XP machine to a Vista machine, keeping the exact same folder structure & naming – though with the Vista UAC turned off – and I imagine it will keep me for a few more years.)

But when it no longer suffices, I’m glad to hear that you’re working at Laridian, and I’ve got a current option from the guy who wrote the best.

25. JS says:

So should I just THROW OUT my Quickverse 6 expandededition, seeing Vista can’t install it? How do I get the benefit of the money spent andall the titles now? Anyone?

26. QuickVerse 6 is about 10 years old. Certainly you’ve gotten your money’s worth after ten years of use. And you certainly don’t expect software to run forever, as the operating systems and hardware are updated.

I think if you’re not going to upgrade the product as the company releases new versions you can’t expect your version to continue to work forever.

And of course, you’re not going to make any progress by posting here. This is a Findex issue and you need to talk to them.

27. JS says:

Amazingly, I managed to install it today by opening the files/folders and clicking setup, then following the advice of someone here, doing the install via the administrator route. It worked and I just copied all three disks onto the harddrive. Praise the Lord!

28. Mike Greenslade says:

I to am a user of QV5. Upgrading to Vista I had problems with UAC. I solved it by downloading TweakUAC and setting UAC to quite Mode, QV5 to administrator. Turned off UAC to install. It now works with UAC on!

29. Tim Owens says:

Thanks Craig for your support through the years. I kept my Quickverse current through version 10 (2006) I did get your patch for ver. 4 and am still using it on VISTA. I am just now reponding to your post because I would never have expected you to still be supporting a product from a company you are no longer a part of. I confess that I still like the UI of QV 4.0 best.

30. Carol Connolly says:

Craig, I just happened to stumble onto this Web site and was surprised to see your name. No, I haven’t bothered you with QV questions since Parsons was sold to Broderbund but probably would have had I known how to reach you. SMILE! The reason I’m writing? I still remember how wonderful you and your staff were in the Parsons days: always helpful, always courteous, always kind, always going the extra mile to help. I still think kindly of those of you that I dealt with then, and I just wanted to say “thank you” one more time.

31. Michael Coley says:

Any chance that Laridan will implement some of the features of QV4 into their Bible software? Although I bought several versions after QV4, I never liked them and kept going back. Now that I’ve moved up to a 64 bit Windows 7 machine, QV4 doesn’t run on my new machine. I’ve tried the newer versions of QV, Laridan’s software, e-Sword, and several others, and they all miss a few key features that I loved in QV4:

1) I used a Word add-in that allowed me to easily paste multiple verses into Word documents (like Sunday School lessons). For instance, if I run the macro (which I assign to a key combination) and type “lk 6.36; 1 pet 1.15-16; 1 jn 4.7-8″, it’ll insert those verse. It’s much more cumbersome and time-consuming with Laridan and any of the other aternatives.

2) The ability to quickly and easily jump to a verse by hitting a key combination and typing the reference, like “lk 6″ or “1 jn 4.7″. With most, you now have to select the book, select the chapter, and select the verse. Much more time-consuming.

3) A powerful search option, particularly combining complex keyword searches with Naves topics. Nothing else comes close.

32. 1) That Word add-on feature was a real pain to maintain. Microsoft changed how it worked with each upgrade and changed the technology we used to interact with other programs. This is not a feature I would look to do in the future. I believe you can script any app to do what you want, though. I just haven’t investigated how to do it.

2) You can just type “lk 6″ or “1 jn 4.7″ and PocketBible for Windows will go there. You don’t have to hit any buttons first. Just start typing. You can also issue commands from the keyboard like “copy john 3.16″ to copy verses to the clipboard, or “find jesus” to find all verses in which “jesus” occurs.

3) The search feature that used Nave’s topics was a bit of a weird one. It dates back to the days when every new piece of content became a feature of the program, rather than treating all content like a book on a shelf that could be opened alongside other books. It would be convoluted to do something like that today. Our PocketBible program, however, does allow you to search only verses in a particular bookmark category, or those you’ve highlighted in a particular color. It also supports searching for Strong’s numbers, or English words only when they’re translated (or not translated) from a particular Strong’s number. You can use character wildcards like “[sp]aul” to find “Saul” or “Paul” but not “haul”. It does AND, OR, NOT, and XOR Boolean operators, and WITHIN for proximity searching. It’s as sophisticated as any other Bible program with the exception of doing Greek and Hebrew language searches.

Thanks for your interest.

33. Randy Sabella says:

Hi Craig, I have been pastoring at my current church for 11 years but I still get calls from members of previous churches I pastored. It is not frequent and never about their current pastor or church but sometimes with the bond we shared it nice to talk to an old friend. This sounds very dramatic I know, but I have used QV4 everyday for many years, preparing thousands of sermons and lessons with it. It is like a friend. It is not easy letting go. When I upgraded to windows 7 64bit and realized it wouldn’t work anymore, it was like loosing an old friend. Thanks for your years of hard work. It has blessed more people than you will know on this side of things!

34. Mike Fischer says:

G’day Craig,
    Thanks for producing such excellent Bible software over the years; as a pastor I have been using it virtually every week.
    Like some of the earlier commenters on this topic, I bought QV3 way back in 1996, soon ‘patched’ it to QV4.0g, and have moved it from ‘puter to ‘puter as I’ve upgraded them over the years. Currently it’s running without a hitch on my Win7 netbook at home. So from Win95 to Win98SE to WinXP to Vista to Win7… will it never stop working?!! Brilliant!
    Nice to see that you have now produced PB… ready for me to purchase when I have the need. But at this stage QV4 continues to do the trick, and give me the best value for money out of *any* software I’ve ever purchased.
    Thanks again,
    Mike.

35. Jack Harrington says:

I’m a firm believer in moving on to bigger and better (or just better) things. However, here it is in 2010 and I have yet to find a compelling reason to discard QV 4.0 and move on. I’ve tried QV 5.0, 6.0 and 9.0, hoping to find something at least equal to the ease, functionality and performance of QV 4.0 – but I’ve been unsuccessful. The UI of 4.0 simply outshines and outperforms all of its successors. I see it in a way how Windows tries to keep up with the Mac OS and has been trying to do so for two decades. Now I’m both a Mac and PC user. I own an Intel-based Mac and run VMWare so I can run Windows. And there are only two reasons why I even need to run Windows – one is Outlook for e-mail and the other is QuickVerse 4.0. And I have had no issues whatsover running QV 4.0f on XP or Vista. I’m just glad that when I bought QV 4.0 way back when (in 1997 I think), that I bought the deluxe version with quite a few translations. The only two translations I wish I could add are the ESV and The Message and since both came out well past QV 4.0, I guess I’m just out of luck unless there’s a way to convert the STEP version of those translations (which I have) into a format QV 4.0 can read. All that is to say, I’ve tried to move past the rock solid performing QV 4.0, but 13 years later, there’s just no complelling reason to do so. Craig, all I can say is thanks for creating QV 4.0!

36. Jack Harrington says:

Correction, that was QV 4.0g above, not 4.0f. :) Thanks for the patch, Craig!

37. Larry Lute says:

Craig,

Thanks for your support for the many years that you did past your employ there.

I recently bought a new computer with Windows 7 Pro.

With Pro and above you can go to the Microsoft website and download free, the software to install virtual XP on the Windows 7 computer.

After you put on Virtual XP, you can install QV4 along with the patch. It runs just like it did on the XP and before computers.

I saw this in a discussion on the internet the other day.

I hope this helps.

Larry

38. Bill says:

I wanted to second what Larry said. I just built a new machine with Windows 7 professional 64 on it and couldn’t use QV4. I tried to use other programs including Laridian’s PC software but it wasn’t the same. The solution was to download Virtual XP and now QV4 is working like a charm. Life is good again.

39. David says:

Have searched your past responses but haven’t found a comment to this request. Any chance of incorporating the INDEX Tab feature of the old QV4 in the PocketBible for Windows. Recently purchased your Laridian PB, but the Bookmark tab is just not as fast and effecient as copying the entire passage to a chosen index with CTRL+E and then pasting the entire index to your clipboard or printer.

As so many others I have been a user of Quickverse since it was DOS-based. I have missed the INDEX feature of QV4 in EVERY pc-based Bible program I have purchased including PC Study Bible 5 and Quickverse 2011.

Thanks for your continued work in good solid Bible Software!

40. Danny says:

it’s 2012 and I am still using QV 4! nothing even comes close!

41. Narita says:

Danny,
    HOW!? I miss my QV 4 and it won’t run on windows XP. Purchased the QV 8 and it is so inferior I don’t even use it. Wasted my money. How do I run it with windows Xp? Thanks !

42. Narita,

I updated the post to give the correct link to QuickVerse 4.0g. You should install QuickVerse 4 on your XP machine, then download QuickVerse 4.0g and run it. It will update your already-installed version of QuickVerse to the final version of the program, which runs on XP.

If you have trouble you’re on your own.

For Bible software for Windows that was written in this century and will run fine on XP and has tech support and has hundreds of new reference books available for it, see http://www.laridian.com.

43. Earl says:

I’m also a QV4 user that wont let it go despite the newer versions.

Since the program runs independently without support files in the Windows directory, I copy and transfer all the contents in its home directory to a new computer and a backup device without having to re-install it.

It will only need a new link, changes in the “options” Menu, and a new “Desktop.”

I run the program in XP and Vista without re-installing. My directory is “Program Files/Bible1/” or “Program Files/QVerse4/.”

ELD

44. Tom Lyons says:

Craig,

Thank you immensley for answerign so many questions for so many of us. Thanks for the 4.O especially. It was by far the best program ever. I’m lost now, but I really was thankful for your 4.0 Quickverse. Thanks again!

45. Tim says:

Craig,

Thanks for making your QuickVerse 4.0g updater available. I recently purchased QuickVerse 4.0 (just to get a searchable NIV 1984 edition – not available anywhere online due to the Committee on Bible Translation’s policy). QV4 wouldn’t open the “Go To Verse” dialog box until I installed your patch. I really appreciate your help.

God bless,

- Tim

46. Helen says:

Yes – QuickVerse 4.0 is the best – it is so sad to think I can’t use it on Windows8.
    How many people throw a Bible away?
    I guess with technology now – you can’t get attached to anything that is digital.
    It will soon be non-supported .
    Thank God – the Word of God never changes! :)

47. Jeff says:

I also found QV4 to be the best Bible app out there. Once a PC snob, I have now completely moved from PC to Mac. Options for Bible software on Mac are pretty bad. I am in the Biotech industry, and our market research numbers show 20% are using Mac’s now, but maybe this is industry specific. Would love to have QV on Mac…someday!

48. Larry says:

Craig:

It’s now 2013 and I keep two laptop running XP just for Quickverse 4.0f. Do you know if the source code for Quickverse 4.0f could be purchased for purposes of an open source project? There might be enough people loyal to 4.0f who would donate money. If it became an open source project for Windows 7 (32 & 64 bit) and later versions of Windows as they come along, it would make a lot of people very happy. I have several Bible packages and none of them are as efficient, effective and direct as 4.0f. Nothing in it needs to be changed. Zero! We just want 4.0f to run under Windows 7 and later just like it did under Win95. 4.0f is still a home run.

49. Bob says:

Lacking tech knowledge, I need to know how to get QV 4 on my computer to work without the disc inserted. I do have Qv4 downloaded with the qv4gup link in place. What is the copyright status of this program if nobody is supporting it?I still need help.

50. Lindsey says:

Thank you so much for the work you have done by keeping QV available. I’ve been using it for some time now. Tried others, but I think I will stay with my QV. We all need to stop for awhile and smell the roses, and reflect on the the good things. What I have seen, you have done very well, thanks!

51. Robert, Cottonwood says:

I’m still using it delightfully, and I’m grateful for what you did. It’s still the very best of all…fastest for bible referencing. May the Lord bless your labors.

52. Thanks Craig for such a great program! For those of you who still want to use QuickVerse 4.0, I’ve found a way to run the programs within Vista 64, Windows 7 and Windows 8, using DOSBox and Windows 3 for DOSBox. Instructions can be found at my own ministry website:

Thanks again, Craig! I’m now looking into your Laridian Software.