Jeff Wheeler

Posted on: May 7th, 2012 by Craig Rairdin 48 Comments

My friend and Laridian co-founder Jeff Wheeler passed away this morning, the victim of a rare and particularly aggressive form of cancer. He was 49.

Jeff and I worked together for 27 years at three different companies and founded Laridian together. The features that you love in QuickVerse and PocketBible and which you often praise me for were likely Jeff’s ideas and his doing. If I didn’t build on Jeff’s foundation, he would dig me a new foundation while I was paying attention to something else. He was my sounding board and my reference library. While being all this to me, he still managed to deeply impact his family for Christ and touch others through his home school choir, his leadership in his local church, and his service to his denomination’s state board.

Men like this do not pass this way often. Well lived, Jeff.

1. Ty says:

Wow, what a surprise. I’m so grateful for the ministry that you guys started together. I know that many like myself have been deeply impacted by the tools you have made available to us. Thank you for your service. Thank you Lord for the life lived in service to you to accomplish your purposes, to nurture your bride.

2. Dav!d says:

Craig,
    We share your sorrow of losing a good friend. You two have influenced many people for many years, giving us the ability to have The Word with us wherever we go. I started with the Palm, and now with iPhone and iPad. I just could not imagine not having Pocket Bible. Thank you so much.

3. Dwight says:

Oh wow. Words fail at times like this, But prayers always work.

4. Pastor Isaac says:

I owe him a lot. I have been a user ever since I had my Palm device and through all its reincarnations. Then moved on to Windows Mobile, then iOS and Android. This has helped immensely in my Bible studies and in preaching preparation. Jeff and you will always be in my heart and prayers. Thank you Jesus for sending to us men like the both of you. And now that Jeff is with the Lord I celebrate his work here on earth. May God continue to bless Laridian with the work that Jeff has left with you, Craig.

5. Kitty says:

So sorry for your loss: so glad for him that He’s in the presence of the Lord.

6. Justin says:

Thanks for the iPhone apps Craig. Now that Jeff is with the Lord I’m sure he knows how much we appreciate the good work you guys have done. Just wanted to encourage you as well during this difficult time.

7. Kevin Grady says:

My prayers and my heart go out to Jeff’s family and your ministry. May the Lord surround you all with His peace that passes understanding.

8. I still have fond memories of working with Jeff as a beta tester on a DOS version of Quick Verse. What a legacy.

I still use the tools you guys developed every day.
    Thanks

9. David says:

I have wondered how he was doing since I read some time ago about his struggle. He is healed!

Please pass along to his family that others are praying for them, and for you at Laridian as well. May God continue to bless you all.

10. Martin Ayton says:

My condolences to you, your co-workers at Laridian, and most especially to Jeff’s family. I have been following Jeff’s inspirational blog, and it is clear that he touched people the world over. I am convinced that Jeff is now in Heaven: Free of pain and enjoying being able to sing once again. The pain for those of you left behind however will be intense. Many, many of us will be praying for you. May God bless you all.

11. ed hansberry says:

How sad. I knew he had cancer but no clue it was that far advanced. My prayers for his family, both his biological one and the one at Laridian.

12. […] I read the sad news that Jeff Wheeler, Bible software developer and co-founder of Laridian, went to be […]

13. Brian Felty says:

Craig,
    We are with you in grieving the loss of your friend’s presence. I agree with the comment that Jeff is now fully aware of the impact of the ministry you shared. (Business seems an inadequate term). But for the sake of his family and friends, and you, I want to say thank you for giving us such a gift. PocketBible has been by my side in almost constant use since my first HP Jornada, Dell Axim, iPhone, etc.
    As for Jeff, I think of Billy Graham’s words, “One of these days you are going to read that I have died. Don’t you believe a word of it!”
    God bless all who are close, and sustain you.

14. Jim B says:

So sorry to hear of this for those left behind. For Jeff, I celebrate that he has begun eternity with our Lord and Savior. May God’s blessings and peace fall on us that are still awaiting that day.

15. Frank says:

I’m so sorry for your and his family’s loss. This thing called Laridian you started together is just a part of your legacy together and separately, but a life lived for Christ is the best reward. He’s perfect now, and that’s his victory. We’ll see Jeff and Christ somewhere down the road!

16. Barrie says:

May He comfort you all as you mourn his loss.

17. Henry Vanston says:

Having had a business partner only 18 months, I know how deep the relationship quickly becomes. Craig, you have experienced the death of a close family member. The pain & sorrow will be deep. I pray that God will draw you even closer to Him as He walks with you through this very deep valley.

18. TimN says:

Deeply grateful for all Jeff did to impact the kingdom. Praying for his family and friends. Thanks for all you do!

19. I was shocked to read this news and am very sorry for the loss of a great man. It is comforting to know that he is present with the Lord and all of his work here touched the lives of many people, including helping me spread the Good News. Thank you both for creating a product in the mobile space that extends into eternity.

20. Terry says:

Craig, thanks for letting us know, and share in both your sorrow and hope. I have been with you guys for years, have participated in beta testing for iOS and have been following Jeff’s blog since he got sick… I too feel like I’ve lost a friend, but for you it must be magnified many times over. I’m praying for you and his friends at Laridian, for Lu and Jeff and Lu’s family.

21. Dale Durnell says:

Craig, and all — what a loss to Jeff’s family, to you, to the company, to the industry, an to us as a user community. When did you and I and Jeff begin our relationship — it was somewhere around 1988. That goes back almost as far as your personal relationship with Jeff.
    Now, we can say that Jeff has found the fight, run the race, finished the course, and has been greeted by our Lord with those wonderful words — “Well done, good and faithful servant”
    Craig, please extend my deepest sympathy to Lu and the family. Jeff will certainly be missed by all of us who knew him. And he will be missed by those of who never knew that they knew him but profited by his efforts.
    He and I had many wonderful years of dialog as we tried to break things to make them better. I remember one time Jeff couldn’t finesse a piece of code to fix a problem, but as he said, he finally resorted to “brute force” and got it fixed anyway. What a guy. He always challenged me to do things that the average user would never think of doing, and occasionally we found things that needed repair.
    I had a programming professor tell us one time that we needed to protect the user from the program and the program from the user. Jeff was so very adept at both.
    I’ll miss him Craig, as I know you and the Cedar Rapids community will.
    Blessings —
    Dale

22. Allan says:

Sorry to hear of his passing. Laridian is best bible software is the best imho. His talents will be sorely missed.

23. Phil says:

Sorry to hear the news – an innovator. With Christ – FAR better!

24. Andy Orcutt says:

Godspeed, Jeff. God bless your friends and family.

25. Randy Hodges says:

His loss to us brings sorrow, but his gain in going home to be with Jesus is worth celebrating.

26. Rafael Moreno says:

My deepest condolences to you brother Craig and also to brother Jeff Wheeler’s family and friends.

“Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints.” — Psalm 116:15

“Then I heard a voice from heaven say, “Write: Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord from now on.” “Yes,” says the Spirit, “they will rest from their labor, for their deeds will follow them.” — Revelation 14:13

May the God of all comfort be with you all in this time of grief (2 Cor. 1:3).

Brother Rafael

27. […] would run their software. Thus, I was saddened by the news that Laridian co-founder Jeff Wheeler pass away at the young age of 49 after fighting a valiant battle with cancer. I know Jeff is now in a much […]

28. Craig Horlacher says:

I used QuickVerse for a number of years before moving to mobile devices and then PocketBible for Windows Mobile. I still think PocketBible for Windows Mobile was the most feature-rich and advanced Bible program I ever saw for any computer. God used these tools in my life to draw me closer to Himself. I’ve been very blessed my Jeff’s work.

I will pray for Jeff’s family and Laridian that God will give you His peace. Praise the Lord that Jeff is free of his cancer and rejoicing with our Jesus, our Savior!

29. GoldOpa says:

I am very sad to hear this,May his soul rest in perfect peace, may the LORD continue to keep the family, A great loss to the kingdom of GOD on earth,may the reward of that he had done for the expansion of the kingdom of GOD on earth be waiting for him in heaven.

30. Scott Kerns says:

Our loss is Heaven’s gain. I’m saddened by Jeff’s death but he left a wonderful legacy. Because of his (and others)work I have read through the Bible about 8 or 9 times now. I’ve lost count. God’s word has become a part of my daily routine and I am blessed by it daily.

31. Steve says:

Craig-
    So sorry to hear of Jeff’s passing. It’s a painful time. Stay close to God and he’ll heal you in time.

God’s comfort to you.

32. Paul H says:

Have hung back a few days as I’m lost for words – so just to say praying for you folks

33. dawn h says:

So sorry for the loss .. Praying for His family , that they will continue to find the Peace and comfort they need thru Jesus Christ

34. Les V M Jr says:

I am sorry to hear if this news. I remember finding this software for my pocket pc. I thought this the best software ever. I used it and told people of it extensively. Most all of my circle of influence went out and purchased a ppc and the software and also used it extensively. I am so grateful for the hard work and effort that went into it. Thank you. I will be praying for Jeff’s family and friends.

35. James Mensah says:

I am very saddened by the news that Laridian co-founder Jeff Wheeler passed away at the young age of 49. I have been using Pocket Bible/MyBible for about 10 years and your software has really helped me to dig into the word of God. I will be praying for all of you.

36. Dana says:

Dear Craig,

I am sorry to hear of this loss. I am praying that you will find comfort and strength in the Lord. Please extend our prayers and well-wishes to the Wheeler family.

37. Stanley Astley says:

H
    Having completed the BIBLE plan I bless his memory for that possibility,for I would not have achieved it on my own vollision.
    My prayers are with you,for you will surely miss him.
    Blessyou,
    Stan

38. SteveR says:

My heart goes out to you and all those who were close to Jeff – grace, peace, and comfort to you. God has used his work in ways that he only is seeing now that he is Home.
    I thank God for the work He placed in Jeff to do. Since the early days of Palm, I’ve been using your Bible and now since the iPad, it has been my main source.

39. Deb Bonser says:

I have always felt that my time at Parsons I had the best employers that I have experienced in my career. First was Trent Hancock that taught me the fun of testing software and then Craig and Jeff doing the same thing but in a Christian environment. I enjoyed my time there very much and was saddened to hear of Jeff’s final journey. However as sad as we are, Jeff is now free from pain and on to his next journey. Our sympathies go out to Laridian and Jeff’s family in this loss. Our prayers will be going out for all of you.

Deb

40. Richard says:

Just seen this very sad news. God bless Jeff, his family and co-workers.

Jeff and the company that he co-founded fundamentally changed the course of direction of many people’s lives and pointed them to God or more firmly on the path to God. What greater legacy is there than that. Thank you Jeff.

41. David Cuff says:

Have used your software since QV dos version.
    You have changed the way I study the Bible. Thank you…
    Looking forward to meeting Jeff in person soon.
    Praying for you Craig and Jeff’s family….

42. Wayne Turner says:

I am so sorry to hear this. I was wondering about how Jeff was doing so it came as quite a shock. My first Bible on computer was Quick Verse. My sincerest condolences from here in Cape Town to you and Jeff’s family.

43. Jose Chaparro says:

Hi, Craig,

I have not been to the blog in a while. I just found out about Jeff’s passing. Yes, he is with the Lord, but we grieve here. I am praying for your families and ongoing ministry at Laridian. God bless you all. As for Jeff, “well done, good and faithful servant. . .”

44. Dear Craig,
    In visiting your blog today I read your sad and surprising news about Jeff. I know he’s with the Lord, but for us left behind, it’s such a loss. My deepest condolences for you and Jeff’s friends and family, and for the staff at Laridian. Jesus said, “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” (John 16:33) “For this God is our God for ever and ever; he will be our guide even to the end.” -Ps. 48:14
    May you feel a special sense of His presence during this difficult, bittersweet time.

45. Mark VanOuse says:

I just read this posting about Jeff’s passing. I’m so very sorry to hear of this, not only for Craig & Laridian, but his family and the Body of Christ.

As a long-time customer (since 2003) I have long appreciated the great value Laridian has been for me in my study and walk with the Lord. I know this owes much to Jeff’s talent and contribution.

He will be greatly missed!

46. Keith Hibbets says:

I just learned of Jeff’s passing. May God indeed comfort all the family, friends and loved ones. The work that has been accomplished through Laridian has been a great blessing to my life. Thank God for this work which you all do!

47. Don Pilgreen says:

Just learned of our great loss! Please accept my prayers and deepest sympathy. I didn’t know Jeff personally but from my business experience for the last 10 years, I feel like I did know him. He left great example of how we should deal with people.

48. Hubert Davies says:

I’ve been using laridian software since 2000 and have skipped between version platforms as my phones changed over the years. I saddened to hear of the co-founders Jeff Wheeler death but I know with the legacy he left behind, Heaven has gained an angel.

I love Laridian bible and really it has been of tremendous help in my bible study especially now that I have a wider screen and can also study on my computer.

All I can say is God bless you all in Laridian for making the Bible so interactive and user friendly. May the Lord continue to guide and protect all of you there. You are all a blessing and your talents have been used for the Lord’s good.

My prayer is always with you.

Pastor Hubert Davies